How to Mix hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin)
The hCG injection is an important step in your IVF cycle. Review the online injection video in
the IVF class at www.uwhealth.org/IVFClass.
If you would like the injection site marked, please ask the nurse to do this once you are near the
time you will be taking it.
Once you are home, if you have questions about the injection please call us at (608) 824-6160.
After hours you can still call this number and ask to have the doctor on call paged.
Remember, the timing of this injection is very important. If you do not know what time you
should take it once you are told which day, please call to ask.
-one 10 mL vial of bacteriostatic water (diluent)
-one vial of 10,000 U of hCG (powder)
-3 mL syringe and 2 needles: Fill needle = 18G 1-1/2”
Injecting needle = 22G 1-1/2”
NOTE: Follow these instructions only rather than any instructions that may be included
from your pharmacy.
What to do
1. Wash hands with soap and water. Place medicine on a clean, dry surface.
2. Remove pop-top from both vials and swab the rubber stoppers with alcohol.
3. Attach fill needle (18 gauge 1-1/2”) to the syringe. Remove needle cover.
4. Draw air into the syringe by pulling out the plunger to the 1 mL mark. Push needle into
diluent vial and inject air. Without withdrawing the needle, turn the diluent vial upside
down and withdraw 1 mL of diluent into the syringe.
5. Inject the 1 mL of diluent into the vial of powdered hCG.
6. Without withdrawing the needle, gently rotate the vial until powder is dissolved.
7. Turn the diluted hCG vial upside down and withdraw prepared hCG by pulling back on
8. Check for air bubbles in the syringe. To remove the air bubbles:
a) Flick the syringe with your finger to make the bubbles rise to the needle.
b) Push gently on the plunger to push the air out.
9. Put needle cover back on the needle and replace the needle with the injection needle
(22 gauge 1-1/2”). You are now ready to inject the hCG.
Giving the Injection of hCG
HCG is by intramuscular injection into the hip.
1. First, locate the Ventrogluteal (hip) site.
a. Have the patient lay on her side.
b. Place the heel of your hand (using your left hand if injecting into the right hip or
the right hand if injecting into the left hip) over the patient’s greater trochanter,
and feel for the anterior superior iliac spine with your index finger.
c. The middle finger then slides across to make a peace-sign pointing up to the iliac
d. The injection site is the middle of this peace-sign.
2. To inject, firmly spread the skin taut around the chosen injection site. Position the needle
at a right angle to the skin. Quickly insert the needle straight through the skin and deep
into the muscle. Insert the needle all the way up to the hub. Release the skin.
3. To inject the hCG, push in the plunger with a slow, steady motion. You do not need to
pull back on the plunger prior to injection to check for blood in the syringe.
Withdraw the needle and cover the injection site with cotton and apply a small amount of
pressure until bleeding stops. If needed, cover site with a bandage. Throw away used needles
& syringe in Sharps container.
Your health care team may have given you this information as part of your care. If so, please use it and call if
you have any questions. If this information was not given to you as part of your care, please check with your
doctor. This is not medical advice. This is not to be used for diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition.
Because each person’s health needs are different, you should talk with your doctor or others on your health care
team when using this information. If you have an emergency, please call 911. Copyright ©5/2016. University of
Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics Authority. All rights reserved. Produced by the Department of Nursing