Getting Ready for your Ob/Gyn Ultrasound
Some ultrasound exams require you to have a full bladder.
Ultrasounds that DO require a full bladder
▪ IUD placement/removal
▪ Biopsy under ultrasound guidance
▪ Sonohysterogram, unless instructed otherwise by your provider’s office.
If you need a full bladder; 1 hour before your test
▪ Empty your bladder (go to the bathroom) and then
▪ Drink 16 ounces (2 cups) of fluids in 10 to 15 minutes.
▪ Do not go to the bathroom until after your test is done.
Ultrasounds that DO NOT require a full bladder
▪ All OB ultrasounds
▪ Check placement of IUD
▪ Pelvic ultrasounds, unless instructed otherwise by your provider’s office.
Date of test: _________________________________
Time of test: _________________________________
Location of test: ______________________________
Please contact one of the UW Health Ob/Gyn Clinics listed below.
West OB/GYN Clinic-(608) 265-7601
20 South Park Ob/Gyn Clinic-(608) 287-2830
Arboretum Ob/Gyn Resident Physician Clinic- (608) 287-5898
The Spanish version of this Health Facts for You is #7281.
Your health care team may have given you this information as part of your care. If so, please use it and call if you have any
questions. If this information was not given to you as part of your care, please check with your doctor. This is not medical
advice. This is not to be used for diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. Because each person’s health needs are
different, you should talk with your doctor or others on your health care team when using this information. If you have an
emergency, please call 911. Copyright © 7/2016 University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics Authority. All rights reserved.
Produced by the Department of Nursing. HF#6034