Clinical Hub,Patient Education,Health and Nutrition Facts For You,Miscellaneous

Disposable Medical Supplies for Home Health Patients (5381)

Disposable Medical Supplies for Home Health Patients (5381) - Clinical Hub, Patient Education, Health and Nutrition Facts For You, Miscellaneous


Disposable Medical Supplies for Home Health Patients

UW Hospital and Clinics, and home care
staff will work with you to arrange for the
care and supplies that you may need at
home. This includes directing you to the
provider of your choice. If you choose to
work with UW Health Home Care Services,
they will arrange for supplies to be shipped
to you or you may pick them up at the UW
Health Home Care Services office. The
office is located at 2030 Pinehurst Drive in
Middleton. It is open Mondays through
Fridays from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.

Guidelines for supply coverage depend on
your health care plan.

Private Insurance and HMO

Your insurance plan or HMO may pay for
all or part of these supplies. If you have a
second plan, it may cover all or part of any
co-payment you may have from your first
policy. Your plan may also direct you to
their preferred providers for the best
coverage. The staff person helping with
your home health planning can help you
explore all choices for the best coverage.

Medical Assistance

Medical Assistance (MA, Badger Care,
Forward Health) may pay for all or part of
these supplies. Your home medical supply
company can answer specific questions
about coverage for individual supplies. For
urologic and incontinence supplies such as
urinary catheters and Chux pads, the State of
Wisconsin MA program contracts with an
out-of-state provider called J&B Medical

Medicare Part A for home health agency

Medicare rules require that the home health
agency which provides your care also
provides you with certain disposable
medical supplies while you receive the home
health visits.

With some exceptions, the home health
agency provides these supplies at no charge.
These supplies include:

1) Supplies that Medicare has been
paying for in the past that may or
may not be related to your need
for home health services, such as
dressings, catheters, and ostomy
supplies. UW Home Health
Agency will stock and deliver
supplies of varying brands. We
will work with your doctor to
ensure that the supplies we
provide are the proper ones for
the care and treatment of your
2) Those supplies related to your
direct care, except for insulin
syringes, gloves, and incontinence
pads. We provide these three
items only when they are used by
home health staff during home
health visits. If you need them in
between visits, it is your
responsibility to provide them

As a rule, drugs and personal hygiene items
are not covered or provided by the home
health agency. Medicare has a list of
“routine and non-routine” supplies for home
health care. Should your need for supplies
fall outside this list, UW Home Health staff
will let you know. These supplies may not
be covered. If you have Medicare part B or
a second insurance plan, it may cover all or
part of the amount not covered by Medicare

Home medical equipment such as walkers,
wheelchairs, and hospital beds are not
supplied under your home health plan of
care. These items are covered separately.
They may be supplied by a Medicare-
approved vendor of your choice. UW
Health Home Care Services is one of these

Getting supplies when skilled home health
care is no longer needed

When you no longer need skilled home
health nursing or therapy visits, UW Home
Health staff will help you to make plans to
obtain supplies from the vendor of your
choice. You may choose to stay with UW
Health Home Care Services or choose a new

The Spanish version of this Health Facts for You is #6038.

Your health care team may have given you this information as part of your care. If so, please use it and call if you
have any questions. If this information was not given to you as part of your care, please check with your doctor. This
is not medical advice. This is not to be used for diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. Because each
person’s health needs are different, you should talk with your doctor or others on your health care team when using
this information. If you have an emergency, please call 911. Copyright © 12/2016 University of Wisconsin Hospitals
and Clinics Authority. All rights reserved. Produced by the Department of Nursing HF#5381