Clinical Hub,Patient Education,Health and Nutrition Facts For You,Geriatrics

Community Based Residential Facilities (CBRF) (5263)

Community Based Residential Facilities (CBRF) (5263) - Clinical Hub, Patient Education, Health and Nutrition Facts For You, Geriatrics


Community Based Residential Facilities

A Community Based Residential Facility (CBRF) is licensed by the State of
Wisconsin, Department of Health and Family Services under HFS 82. A CBRF
provides room and board, supervision, and help for people who have trouble living
by themselves. A CBRF is a type of assisted living that is a step between living at
home and living in a nursing home.

Five or more unrelated adults live in a CBRF. Care, treatment, and service options
as well as room and board are given to all residents. A skilled home health agency
can provide nursing care. This nursing care may be covered by Medicare.

What can a CBRF offer?
ξ Staff to watch over you.
ξ Medicine management.
ξ Information and referral service.
ξ Things to do during leisure time.
ξ Meals and snacks provided.
ξ Help with cares, bathing, toileting, dressing, and mobility, if needed.

CBRFs can vary greatly in terms of size, cost, activities, staff, and staff training. A
growing number of them provide care of persons with Alzheimer’s disease and
other dementias. Since many have waiting lists, it is wise to plan ahead should the
need arise.

How do I pick a CBRF?
ξ You can find the name and site of a CBRF in your area from your hospital
case managers, social workers, or discharge planners. Community social
workers, your county’s aging unit, or the Alzheimer’s Association may also
be helpful.
ξ Visit many places. Ask questions. Ask to see information about the program,
an entrance agreement, a statement of resident rights and a complaint
procedure. Choosing an Assisted Living Facility document can be found at
http://dhfs.wisconsin.gov/bqaconsumer/AssistedLiving/pde579.pdf. This can

help you compare facilities and get better information when you visit a
facility. Survey information about each CBRF can be obtained from the
Regional Division of Supportive Living Office by calling (608) 266-2701.
You can also find out more at the Department of Health and Family Services
web site.
www.dhfs.wisconsin.gov/bgaconsumer/AssistedLiving/AsLivindex.htm .
ξ Talk with the staff about their special service plans.
ξ Get on the waiting list, if there is one.

How do I pay for CBRF care?
ξ Private pay is one choice.
ξ The County Human Services or Social Services Department (for numbers
check your phone book under “government”) may be able to help you with
funding. The Benefit Specialist in your county’s aging unit or Area Agency
on Aging should be able to answer your questions.
ξ Private long-term care policies may be a source of payment. Check your
policy for details.
ξ Medicare does NOT pay for this type of care.

How do I go about helping someone move to a CBRF?
ξ Complete all needed medical forms.
ξ Select a date.
ξ In simple terms, explain what is going on.
ξ Take along special items to make the room in the CBRF home-like.
ξ Provide background information about the resident to the staff.

What is it like after the move?
This is often a tough time for the caregiver and family. Many have mixed feelings
of relief and guilt. A sense of loss is a common feeling. Visits can be hard for the
caregiver, family and the resident. In some cases, visits may occur after a “settling
in” time. This gives the resident time to adjust. People with memory loss may also
take a longer time to adjust to their new home. At first, there may be more agitation
or confusion. Working with the staff of the CBRF can be helpful. If there are
problems, talk with staff. It is vital to have a good working relationship. You can
help the staff to learn about their new resident. This can be done by being open and
sharing feelings with the staff.

Your health care team may have given you this information as part of your care. If so, please use it and call if you
have any questions. If this information was not given to you as part of your care, please check with your doctor. This
is not medical advice. This is not to be used for diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. Because each
person’s health needs are different, you should talk with your doctor or others on your health care team when using
this information. If you have an emergency, please call 911. Copyright ©9/2015. University of Wisconsin Hospitals
and Clinics Authority. All rights reserved. Produced by the Department of Nursing. HF#5263.