Adult Circumcision Care
1. There will likely be swelling, bruising, and spotty bleeding in your penis.
2. Keep the pressure-dressing on your penis as instructed by your doctor. Change the outer
dressing if it becomes soiled. You may be instructed to remove dressing after 24 hours. It
depends on your doctor.
3. Keep your wound clean and dry. You may shower 24 hours after surgery. Keep your back to
the water as much as possible. Do not soak in a bathtub, hot tub, Jacuzzi, or swimming pool
until two weeks after surgery.
4. Your stitches should dissolve in about 2 – 4 weeks.
5. You will be seen for follow-up in the Urology Clinic in 2 to 3 weeks for wound check.
When to Call the Doctor
▪ Increased redness, swelling, or bruising
▪ Drainage of pus or blood
▪ Pain not controlled by pain pills
▪ Fevers or chills
▪ Unable to urinate
▪ Problems with urination such as a spraying urine stream or pain.
UW Health Urology 608-263-4757
UW Health at The American Center Urology 608-440-6464
UW Health One South Park Urology 608-287-2900
After Hours, Nights, Weekends, and Holidays, the clinic number is answered by the paging
operator. Ask for the Urology Doctor on call. Leave your name and phone number with the area
code. The doctor will call you back.
Toll Free: 1-844-607-4800
Your medical record number _____________________________
Your health care team may have given you this information as part of your care. If so, please use it and call if you
have any questions. If this information was not given to you as part of your care, please check with your doctor. This
is not medical advice. This is not to be used for diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. Because each
person’s health needs are different, you should talk with your doctor or others on your health care team when using
this information. If you have an emergency, please call 911. Copyright © 7/2015. University of Wisconsin Hospitals
and Clinics Authority. All rights reserved. Produced by the Department of Nursing. HF#4253