Midstream Urine Sample -- Male
Before you start, be sure to read all the instructions. Please ask questions if you are unsure
about any of these steps.
1. Raise the toilet seat.
2. Wash your hands with soap and water. Dry your hands with clean paper towels.
3. Open the urine container. Do not touch inside of container or cover. Open one
4. Clean the head of the penis with a towelette. Start at the opening of the urethra and
circle back. If you are not circumcised, pull the foreskin back to clean the head of the
penis. Throw the towelette in the nearby wastebasket. Hold the foreskin back during
5. Urinate a small amount into the toilet. Then bring the container into the urine stream
to catch a sample. Stop the stream. Finish urinating into the toilet. The container
does not have to be filled to the top.
6. Screw the cover onto the urine container. Dry the outside of container if it is wet.
Wash your hands. Put label on side of container.
7. Give the sample to the clinic staff.
If you make a mistake in collecting the specimen, please ask for a new container and towelette.
The Spanish version of this Health Facts for You is #5478.
Your health care team may have given you this information as part of your care. If so, please use it and call if you
have any questions. If this information was not given to you as part of your care, please check with your doctor. This
is not medical advice. This is not to be used for diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. Because each
person’s health needs are different, you should talk with your doctor or others on your health care team when using
this information. If you have an emergency, please call 911. Copyright © 6/2016 University of Wisconsin Hospitals
and Clinics Authority. All rights reserved. Produced by the Department of Nursing HF#4247.