Clinical Hub,Patient Safety,Nursing Quality and Safety Resources,SMART Resources and Tips,Safe Patient Handling Training Guide- AFCH
Safe Patient Handling Guidelines- General
Safe Patient Handling Guidelines- General - Clinical Hub, Patient Safety, Nursing Quality and Safety Resources, SMART Resources and Tips, Safe Patient Handling Training Guide- AFCH
- Medical and surgical conditions may affect what equipment should be used- see resources
- How much can I safely lift?
- 35 pounds maximum lift weight for patients
- Less if lifting with extended arms, near the floor, sitting or kneeling, twisting trunk, restricted space, one handed lift, shift length longer than eight hours
- How much can I safely turn?
- One Person= Maximum of 78 pounds
- Two People= Maximum of 156 pounds
- Three People= Maximum of 234 pounds
- Any patient weighing > 234 pounds should be turned using equipment!