Process for Modifying the Alaris Guardrails Drug Library
- Requests for additions or changes to the Alaris® Guardrail drug library must be entered by completing the Alaris Library Change Request and Report of Non-scanning Medications Form.
- Library changes must be consistent with UWHC Guidelines for the Intravenous Administration of Formulary Drugs in Adults and Pediatrics.
- All modifications or additions to the Guardrails® Drug Library (data set) are prioritized by potential severity of injury to the patient if the medication were administered inappropriately and the frequency of administration.
- After a request is made, a group of UWHC clinical experts is asked to review and comment on the request. Each request is reviewed by at least one pharmacist, physician and nurse clinician.
- All proposed changes to the Guardrails® Drug Library must then be approved by the Smart Pump Oversight Committee, a subcommittee of the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee.
- After all modifications are approved, changes are sent electronically to the Alaris System server:
- Routinely on a quarterly basis
- On or near the first of the month
- Immediately if warranted due to safety considerations
Alaris Library Change Request and Report of Non-scanning Medications Form