- Remove the device from service: Sequester all parts of the Alaris® System including the tubing. Obtain a new programming unit and modules from Central Services.
Complete the white CS tag or use orange "Broken Equipment" post-it tag and apply to pump channel or programming unit.
- Include the Serial or Facilities Management Resource ID Number:
The serial number is listed on the back of the pump and is also available electronically within the pump:
- Turn pump on
- Press OPTIONS
- Select PAGE DOWN
- Select SERIAL NUMBERS
- The Facilities Management Resource (FMR) ID is on a sticker on the back of pump, starts with "0" and is 6 numbers long.
File a Patient Safety Net report during your shift if there is a potential malfunction or patient harm with a pump.
- Record the numbers of the Programming Unit and affected module(s) on the PSN.
- Record the Lot Number of the associated tubing set.
- Bag all tubing and the device in biohazard bag.
- Give to Unit Manager.
- Call Risk Management at (608) 261-1327 or (608) 263-0994
- Refer to UWHC Administrative Policy 12.40 Reporting of Device-Related Adverse Events & Other Product Problems and UWHC Nursing Administrative Policy 8.39 Repair or Replacement of Essential Equipment in Case of Breakdown